Cullinan Premier Hotel in Gauteng, South Africa is so much more than just a place to stay over for a night or two, it is an experience. The hotel has such a strong historical significance that is beautifully entwined with the story of how the town of Cullinan came to be.
The exact date of when the hotel was built is a bit of mystery, but it is believed to have opened in 1905. Locals say this is an estimate as the the first written reference to the hotel occurred in 1907, during the formation of the Premier Mine Co-operative Society. The building is about 112 years old, making it one of the oldest buildings in Cullinan and a historical landmark. Before the war took place it was the spot all the diamond miners would go to for drinks. Even the famous, Sir Thomas Cullinan (who found the Cullinan Diamond) would sometimes join them for sundowners at the hotel. During the war however, the hotel was taken over by the army and no longer functioned as a business.
Many visitors to Cullinan are there for the historical experience as well as the diamond mines. If you truly want to experience Cullinan, then this historical hotel is the best spot for you. The hotel has a rich and interesting history, and the owner, Maudie, has made sure that this is incorporated throughout your stay. You can expect uniquely decorated rooms, a funky dining room, a bar full of soul and a historically accurate cellar.
The best features found at the hotel are the ones that incorporate their history seamlessly into the modern 21st century. The hotel actually closed down in 1988 after years of use, but was then lovingly restored to its former glory and reopened in 2014. As soon as you step into the hotel you instantly notice that it is a beautiful tribute to the past. You also know the owners take pride in their historical significance. The decor adds a nostalgic atmosphere that you don’t often find in hotels that have been revamped.
Features and Extras
We stayed in the Royal Suite and could not have been happier with the accommodation. The rooms were large, beautifully decorated and had all the amenities we could need. The bathroom consisted of a large bath and shower and had a modern touch. The best part was our balcony that offered us a view of Cullinan and a stunning sunset.
- I would suggest booking one of their luxurious suites; two of these are named after important historical figures and allow you to experience the grand opulence of this hotel.
- Definitely spend the evening in the hotel bar to relax and have a drink or two. Perhaps even ask the barman or woman about the hotel ghost; you will be well entertained by their interesting stories.
- If dining at the hotel (which I recommend since the chef is fantastic) ask for your meal to be served in the historical cellar. This offers a wonderful romantic setting with great ambiance.
- Make sure to try one of their spa packages while staying at the hotel, a massage is a great way to start or end your day. We were treated to a full body deep tissue massage and a full body exfoliation and it was fantastic.
- They offer a variety of other packages and pampering treatments, so ensure that you ask about what they can arrange before your stay. Expect a personal touch and customization to suit your wishes when staying at The Cullinan Premier Hotel.
Jan 16, 2018 at 6:09 pm
What a great read! It was almost like I was there! Hope you had fun.
Jan 19, 2018 at 8:56 am
Thanks so much! It was lovely!
Jan 27, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Pretty cool to stay in such an old hotel. I mean, it’s not thaaat old, but older than most of them nowadays ;-). I’ve never been to South Africa, but would love to one day.
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:01 am
It was quite fun. Yes, when compared to hotels in Europe it is not super old. But for South African history it is quite. I hope you get a chance to visit.
Feb 11, 2018 at 3:32 am
Hеllo, after reading this amazing piece of writing i am too glad
to share my knowledge here with mates.
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:53 pm
I am so glad you liked it. Thank you for sharing!
Comments are closed